Friday, July 10, 2015

Crochet Chair Socks

The wood floors in the farmhouse are made of pine therefore they tend to scratch and scar up easily.  Several well used areas in the house need to be sanded down and re-done.  But, there are so many other things needing our attention that we have decided to leave them be for now and maybe try doing some touch-up in the worst areas.

The room we are using as our dining room was formerly used as a living/family room.  It used to have carpet in there so the floors were in decent shape when we removed the carpet.
 
After a couple of months of sliding the dining room chairs in and out from the table I noticed scratch marks on the floors even though we had the felt pads on the bottom of the chairs.

One day, while browsing online, I came across this pattern for chair socks.  Click HERE for pattern.

I thought it was a great idea!

So I proceeded to dig through my yarn stash and found some yarn that matched the chairs fairly well.

My yarn was different than what was recommended but it's what I had so I went for it and it worked out.



After reading the pattern I decided to switch it up a bit.  I followed the pattern, for the most part, except that I joined the rounds rather than work in  continuous rounds.  The main reason for this was because when I work in continuous rounds my project always seems to turn out a little wonky. or askewed. or cockeyed.  whichever term make sense to you, ha!

So, here is the way I did it and the yarn that I used...

Chair Socks

Yarn:  Bernat Softee Baby, Light 3
Hook:  F/5-3.75MM

Ch 4, sl st into 1st chain to form a ring
Rnd 1:  ch 1, sc 6 times in center of ring, join with sl st
Rnd 2:  ch1, 2 sc in each sc (12 sc), join with sl st
Rnd 3:  ch 1, 2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in next (repeat 5 times) (18 sc), join with sl st
Rnd 4-7:  ch 1, sc in each sc (18 sc), join with sl st
Rnd 8:  ch 1, sc in next, decrease sc in next two sc (repeat 5 times) (12 sc), join with sl st
Rnd 9:  ch 1,  sc in next 12 sc, join with sl st
Finish off

I'm not a pattern writer so hopefully this will make sense if you're wanting to try making these cute little chair socks.



There ya have it.

I left the felt pads on the bottom of the chair legs and slid the sock over the end.  Between the two I think it is helping eliminate some scratching.

If you try making these with my pattern and have any problems please let me know.  And, good luck!

GoneCountry

No comments: